ACI Craftsman Certification Program: Concrete Flatwork Finisher/Technician
ACI Craftsman Certification Program
Concrete Flatwork Finisher/Technician
A Concrete Flatwork Finisher is a craftsman who has demonstrated knowledge about the ability to place, consolidate, finish, edge, joint, cure and protect concrete flatwork.
A Concrete Flatwork Technician is a person who is knowledgeable about proper procedures to place, consolidate, finish, edge, joint, cure and protect concrete flatwork, but who lacks sufficient work experience to qualify as a Concrete Flatwork Finisher.
Scope and Knowledge
The primary technical resource for this program is ACI’s Concrete Craftsman Series, Slabs on Grade, CCS-1. The program requires knowledge in the following areas of concrete construction:
- Planning for slab-on-ground placement
- Concrete materials, mix proportioning and control tests
- Preparation before placing concrete
- Floor flatness and levelness
- Placing equipment
- Finishing tools and equipment
- Procedures for finishing slabs-on-grade
- Curing and protection of concrete
- Finishing problems and possible solutions
For Concrete Flatwork Finisher
ACI will grant certification only to those candidates who obtain a passing grade on the written examination PLUS:
- Possess one year (1500 hours) of actual on-the-job finishing experience (approximately one year of regular full-time work) AND successfully complete the performance examination, OR
- Possess (4500 hours) of actual on-the-job finishing experience (approximately) three years of regular full-time work).
- The two-hour written examination is “closed book” and consists of approximately 50 multiple choice questions. The passing grade for the written examination is 70%.
- Recertification is necessary every five (5) years, and requires successful completion of a written examination.
For Concrete Flatwork Technician:
ACI will grant certification to those examinees who obtain a passing grade on the written examination. Individuals with Flatwork Technician certification can upgrade to full Flatwork Finisher status upon submittal and approval of sufficient work experience or sucessful completion of the ACI performance evaluation Recertification is necessary every five (5) years, and requires successful completion of a written examination.
Go to the ACI Bookstore on their website to order and/or obtain current pricing on any items listed below. CP-10 (10): Craftsman Workbook for ACI Certification of Concrete
Flatwork Technician & Flatwork Finisher:
This manual is a study guide that orients the examinee to the certification program and contains directions on how to prepare for the written examination and performance evaluation. Included are sample examination checklists, practice exams, study questions, and all technical resources. These include ACI’s Slabs on Grade (CCS-1), and ACI’s Concrete Primer (SP-1).